Thursday, October 16, 2008

Darning

Well, I did it! I have to sadly admit hat when things got a hole in them, I usually got rid of them. But not this time! I just finished darning two pairs of stockings and the crotch of a sleeper for JJ (that we had gotten from the clothing swap). It feels SO GOOD and literally took only MINUTES!

Why and HOW do we ever get the notions that things take longer than they actually do? I mean, when I set my timer for 15 minutes and say to myself I will clean for at least 15 minutes (a la FlyLady) I am ALWAYS amazed at how much I was able to do in such a short amount of time. I look at the sink and think to myself that will take so long to do, I will just wait, I don't have the time. But when I time myself, I get the sink done, wipe down the stove and counters, and even get to organize a little all in 15 minutes!

I used to get rid of things that needed some little TLC (like the holey stockings) because I always thought it would take too much time to fix it. But today I found out that if I do it right away, a stitch in time really does save nine. Nine DOLLARS to replace those stockings!! :)

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Good for you! I've never been confident in my darning skills. I've sewn up holes in stockings and socks before, but only in places that are hidden in the shoes. I do need to pay more attention to mending, as it does make clothing last longer. You are so right that it never takes as long as I think it will.