Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Purpose Of This Blog

Eat it up, wear it out
make it do, or do without
-1930's Mantra

We have become a society that takes everything for granted. The food we eat. The clothes we wear. Not a thought about where it came from or the hard work it took to earn the money to buy it. Why? Firstly because of debt. We no longer have to WORK for anything. We want it, we buy it. Can't pay for it now? Put it on my tab. A tab that when I cannot pay it, I simply declare bankruptcy and don't owe anything.

And secondly, because we have become accustomed to a quick fix. Something breaks? No need to fix it, just goto Wal-Mart and buy another one. One made so poorly and cheaply that it is MEANT to break after JUST enough time to make you think you got your money's worth.

We are a very greedy nation and because of that greed, hard working and honest people like my husband and most likely, if you are reading this, your husband, who work hard for their money and are sure to pay the bills on time as well as build up some sort of retirement - have to suffer.

While I do not know the future, I do know that we are headed for some very difficult times ahead. And while I pray it will never get as bad as The Great Depression of the 1930's did, I feel that this is a good time to look back into that time in history. To learn from the people, their thrifty ways, and to adopt some now before it comes to a point where I have no choice. And hopefully, it will give us a step up above the rest at that time. Allowing us to move forward.

I read their stories and wonder "how on earth did they think of something like that?!" I am pretty sure some of it was simple trial and error. But I am also certain that we simply cannot do it alone. We survive better when we bond together, share our knowledge as well as our things, and learn from one another.

I do not profess to be an expert. In fact, I admit right now, I know NOTHING. I am starting this blog to preserve my journey during this time for future reference, for others who are interested in learning with me, and for others who have been there and want to share.

No comments: