Monday, October 13, 2008

Spool Knitting, French Knitting or Knitting Nancy

My girls love to finger knit and do it just about anywhere, anytime. It is a great way to knit without having to pay for a spool knitter (or make one yourself).

A post on my other blog reminded me about how to make your own knitting nancy. I have several spool knitters that I have gotten (one is the Clover Wonder Knitter that I got on sale for about $3). But I have never taken the time to teach the girls how to use them. Maybe for Christmas this year, we will give one to each of the girls.

I found a page which has a small amount of patterns, one of them for a doll! (Well, it says "mascot" in the directions BUT remove the hat and replace with hair and you have a doll! I have three girls and most EVERYTHING is turned into a doll!) I have not had a LOT of time to explore the site, but the page does talk about how to find patterns and books and such.

And then this is this site a collection of everything you wanted to know about knitting nancies and more.

Have you found any great free online patterns? Share them in the comments below! I will add more later as I find them. You can always re-find this page by searching for "knitting nancy" or "spool knitting" in the upper search bar of this blog. It searches only this blog.

-=-=-=-
Spool Knitting has a GREAT tutorial as well as a GREAT idea for making rugs with little bits of left over yarn as well as old knitted/crocheted afghans and sweaters that are falling apart!

1900's pattern book free online! Included are videos to help show you the different types of stitches. Download the book without the videos.

Three Cute Projects

From spool knitting to loom knitting - GREAT make your own loom tutorial!!!

No comments: