Sunday, October 12, 2008

Tubes of Toothpaste

The other day we went to clothing swap our church was holding. It was great! We were able to bring lots of clothes that no longer fit me or the kids (that the resale shop was not taking and that I would not get enough money on ebay to make it worth my while) but that were still in REALLY good shape. It was great seeing people walk away with the clothes that we brought.

And thankfully we were able to get all the clothes we need for JJ (our 2yr) for the rest of the winter! And on Tuesday a lady is bringing some more winter clothes for him as well as boots! YEAH!!! :) If only I could have found stuff for my daughters. Oh well.

I was listening to Peter Schiff on the Glenn Beck show talk about buying gold because the value of the dollar is dropping. A caller said he didn't have enough money to buy gold (who does?), so what should he do?

I was intently listening to THIS answer. He said buy and stock up on goods. Things like coffee, cigarettes, food, etc. Goods, physical goods, would be more valuable than money!

Now I had recently started stockpiling, but that was mostly so I could stock up things when they were on sale, thus saving money on things I would have bought anyway. I never thought that someday I might be able to trade it for something else I might be in need of.

As I was cleaning and decluttering today I came across three tubes of toothpaste. I usually throw them away, as they have fluoride in them and we do not use fluoride. But this time thought better. Does it really hurt me to keep those tubes for a future time when I might be able to barter them for something else I need? I can learn now how to make my own toothpaste out of everyday household ingredients. It would be much cheaper to make my own with ingredients I already have on hand AND I can trade the toothpaste for something else I might need more.

No comments: